Wind and Snow Again

After a clear morning the snowfall started before noon, and seemed to get worse, so there was no use waiting for it to pass. The sun sets early, between three and four in the afternoon so there was not much time to spend. I decided snowfall could be nice in the image, the flakes were big (and wet) so I hurried to Humlegården to begin with. I had my pale pink scarf with me this time, and hoped to have the park for my self due to bad weather. But snow is not considered bad weather, of course; there were lots of families rolling big snowballs on the ground. The wet snow combined with the dry leaves made for huge snow balls that small children were excitedly pushing around. I made one test image with the camera a little further away, in order to show more of the park.


Quickly checking the result made me  decide to stick to my previous framing, more or less, and also to wear my pale scarf and remove my red cap. So I sat for a while leaning on the big trunk, a rather comfortable seat, actually, but wet and cold. I remembered that I used to carry a small piece of plastic to sit on during all my years sitting in various places on Harakka Island. For these images in Stockholm I have not yet created a proper routine.


Time seemed to be flying and dusk was approaching fast so I hurried down to the shore and walked to my other tree partner at Djurgården. It took me a while to find almost the same place for the camera as last time, since there are no clear markers on the ground. The first test image I made with ny ordinary clothes on, and was not very impressed by the image.


For the “real” version I removed my cap, put on my scarf (on top of my coat, since it was getting cold) and decided to sit higher up on the branches. The tree is very comfortable to sit in and has a veritable nest for sitting in. I decided to sit for a little longer, hoping for the snow flakes to hit the camera lens and blur the image a little like the raindrops in Falmouth.


The wind was getting stronger and sitting in the tree I was gasping for air first, before settling into the “suffering”, breathing slowly, accepting the cold, registering the shifts in the force of the wind. I sat there and enjoyed the beauty of the image, both the one I imagined recorded by the camera, and the one I was looking at while sitting in the tree. At some point I imagined I could simply hold on until nightfall, but soon gave up. It was too cold, and it looked like quite some time until dusk. There was a group of noisy strollers passing the tree, and I was afraid they would notice the camera and do something with it. Luckily that did not happen. I also imagined that the strong gusts of wind would hit the tripod and saw the camera lying on the ground in the snow, and so on. But I kept on sitting for a few more minutes, but then gave up. The cold was creeping into my bones and the wind was blowing into my ear… I did not want to get ill, so I climbed down.


The camera was still standing on the tripod, recording a slightly foggy image; part of the lens was covered with snow, and I wonder how the snow did not show more in the actual image. By now I was really cold, so I quickly packed my things and hurried to the cafeteria at the entrance of the park, the place where I am writing these notes. Although it did not look anything like what I imagined while sitting in my sculpture nest in the tree, and though the change between the beginning and the end, as illustrated by the two images above, was surprisingly small, this session perhaps could be made into a small video….









Published by

Annette Arlander